No smoke detectors installed within the property

Anthony Freeman, of Sutton Coldfield, has pleaded guilty to failure to obtain a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) Licence and numerous breaches of the HMO Management Regulations. He was hit with a £25,000 fine and ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £170 and costs to Birmingham City Council of £2,454.

Mr Freeman had been letting a three-storey property to at least five individuals.

In a joint operation with West Midlands Police, Birmingham City Council Officers from the Private Rented Services team found that Mr Freeman’s property had no smoke detectors in the bedrooms; there was no fire blanket in the kitchen, inadequate emergency lighting on the escape route, missing staircase handrails, non-compliant fire doors and broken and leaking guttering and waste pipes.

The Council said in a statement on its website: “This fine sends out a message to landlords who avoid the law that Birmingham City Council will pursue anyone who lets unlicensed and/or substandard accommodation.”

Original source

Birmingham City Council